Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Montessori Moments

What does it look like? I asked myself this question today. I sometimes wonder with deep, sleep robbing, mind occupying anxiety. What does the Montessori Philosophy in action look like in my classroom? I've spoken about it. Been trained in it. Even waxed eloquently for others to hear. But I'm not exactly sure. I have an idea, an ideal even, locked away in the back of my mind, of what I think it should look like, what it is supposed to look like. But that ideal isn't based on anything I've actually seen. It is what my imagination has conjured up based on readings and dialogue with others who I trust have seen it before. I think maybe I have seen a few Montessori Moments, but I am not exactly sure. Do they exist in my public school test driven environment? I don't know. I want to see it. I want to feel it and sense it and breathe it. Like the kid who stays up really late to catch a glimpse of Santa Claus, only to fall asleep and wake up the next morning to see a plate of crumbs and a half empty glass of milk. There is evidence that he may have been there, but you aren't completely certain. This makes it seem like I can't make it happen. I have to let go and just believe that it will. Almost like faith. I'm not sure if I can do that or not. It is such an odd thing to be pursuing something that I am not even sure I have ever seen before.

Have you caught a glimpse? Do you have a Montessori Moment to share that could encourage me and others to press on?

No comments: